Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Cliff Edge

I think I mentioned that I am experimenting with changes in my diet, through vegetarianism and even toward veganism. I'm still calling this an experiment (probably so if I don't follow through, I don't feel like a shmuck). I haven't exactly gone cold turkey. Not because of "easing" myself into it, but because of practicality: I don't want to just throw away the food I'm still working through. But now I'm almost through those stores: the instant oatmeal packets are gone; cottage cheese and yogurt is almost run out; some pancake mix is wearing down. So I feel like I'm on the cliff edge where I'll finally take a plunge.

I feel mentally prepared: I've told myself that I'm not giving up animal products. Or that I'm DENYing my body what it wants. I feel confident that I'm actually rewarding my body with what's best for it, instead of trash that just seems to be good. Nonetheless, I know there will be a learning curve to changing my eating and preparation habits. But I think it will be a great chance to learn new flavors cuisines that I haven't tried before. Should be fun.

I was prompted to watch a movie recently about a modern Greek legend, Yiannis Kouros, called "Forever Running." I liked how he describe his events (pretty much anything 100K ++, into the multiple days) as "exceeding." I also liked his description of running for hours on end (and I'm paraphrasing), "You think, I have 30 hours, 24 hours, 12 hours, 6 hours. But even the last hour feels like a burden." And I totally get this. When I mentally tackled the hundred, even the last mile never felt like a freebie.

No comments:

Post a Comment