Monday, March 28, 2011

Sick, Sick, Sick

Ugh. What a week/weekend. I started with just a sore throat on Wednesday, but of course I have a cold that's been running it's course. Sore throat is gone, followed by terrible congestion on it's way out (but still lingering), with a stuffed/runny nose on-coming. My run on Friday felt heavy. A typical brick workout on Saturday was just a bike. I completed my run workout on Sunday. It was a struggle, and is anyone could hear me it probably sounded like I was dying at times. I was a coughing, wheezing, congested mess. Given that I'm already getting over the congestion, I'm hoping it'll resolve quickly.

My resolve for biking is waning off. I'm just not sure if the time and money needed to properly invest in it is worth it. I mean, I really enjoying the cross-training I do during the week; it's a nice and necessary break from biking. But not so for the weekend long rides. Even though needed for triathlon training, I can't help but feel it's gets in the way of running, my REAL passion.

Despite being under weather, and because I was unable to run Saturday, I got up extra early on Sunday for a long run at Umstead Park, to precede my [somewhat] regular group run. It was drizzling and cold. But I dressed warm and used my new friend - the headlamp. Running in the dark is a pretty novel experience and one I have enjoyed. The run was definitely tough at times, given my clogged lungs. However, there were several highlights. One was getting lost and getting a unexpected stretch of single-track trail, but most came from those inexplicable runner highs and lows from being out there.

I do think I've found my fuel of choice. I've done Clif Shot Blocks, and various sports drinks and gels. All worked, but I was never like "THIS is the one." Well, I really found that Jelly Belly's Sports Beans were great. It was sweet enough, and I loved the delivery. I just tossed the whole bag (about 100 cals, same as a serving of Shot Blocks or a gel) and it breaks down just like gum. I shoved the wad into the corner of my mouth and let it dissolved slowing. I dunno, maybe it was just that I happened to REALLY need to fuel, but I just thought it was perfect.

Busy week and uncertain weekend. David deploys this weekend for several months.

I got my first flat on my front tire. Sad, but it happens.

A little rat dog ran out in the middle of morning traffic to bark at me.

1 comment:

  1. Hey: hope you're feeling better today! Be careful running when you're so congested!!! Thinking of you and know you'll be missing your brother. take care!!!

    ReplyDelete