Saturday, March 5, 2011

I am thoroughly enjoying my training season. For the most part, I'm following a similar schedule that I did last year during the summer and leading up to the City of Oaks Marathon. However, my bike and run workouts are becoming more entwined since I want to be well-prepared for the bike-to-run transition. Though maybe not harmful, it was certainly a shock after my first triathlon a few years ago, and it's worth getting use to the change in movements. Overall, it has made my weekend runs shorter than what I would ideally want (that is, a single long run). However, as it's going, after a bike ride is a run (this one-to-the-other is known as a brick), with another run in the evening. Overall my weekly mileage builds similar to the marathon, but with the shorter individual workouts more in line with the half Ironman (HIM). I'm not sure if it'll turn out how I want, but ideally I can still build longer still and will have a strong base for ultra-races and a full Ironman next year.

I did get some new running shoes. I seem to get just over 500 miles out of a pair. I'm working a little bit on adjusting to a midfoot to forefoot strike, which is considered ideal for injury prevention. And I have a slight eye for a pair of Vibrams but I still think it'll be a little while. I'm already enjoying my entrance in to trail running, which is pretty entrenched with my desire to do ultras. It's also given me an eye to Cary's network of greenways, which aren't trails, but may be a nice divergence from the sidewalk.

Last thoughts:
1) I should really try to focus on slow runs. I usually run base on feel, and lately that's be a lot faster than my norm. I feel ok at the moment, but if I'm not careful, this can lead to serious overtraining.
2) I'm enjoying my aerobars (Thanks Lida and Mark!). Sometimes I feel like a missile.
3) Today's trip to REI was bittersweet. I went for just some more HEED, a sports drink mix from Hammer Nutrition, and just a energy bar or two. Well, they were out of HEED, but had a special on all foods, and I ended up stocking up on a variety of foods, some are staples of my diet; others are ones I'd like to test out in training.
4) Still not sure I'll drop my facebook.

3 comments:

  1. for #1 leave your GPS watch at home while running. Also ditching the ipod, if you use it, will help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything else? Cuz I actually don't use either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't do facebook, keep this thing updated, I like to see what you're up to! But I also like posting weird things on your facebook about running etc...

    Laura

    ReplyDelete