Monday, March 21, 2011

Recovery week

This was a recovery week so my mileage was taken back a little bit. I also had to drill this weekend with the Coast Guard and did not do my usual weekend bike ride; it's not too hard to twist around my running schedule, and I'm much more willing to do so, but dealing with traveling with a bike for a long distance just isn't my cup of tea. And I told myself from the get go: to make sure I can enjoy the bike, if I don't feel like doing it, I just won't do it. Forcing myself would only make it worse.

It was a rough week. One where I felt like I had a some pretty high points, but then some pretty low ones. I'm not sure if I want to go into the all the details, which may be part of the problem. It's hard to know when and/or who to share some personal problems with, especially for an introvert like myself.

I hope I don't accidentally bite the ultramarathon bug sooner than I should. I had already planned on doing a trail marathon about a month after I do a second half Ironman (HIM in September, marathon in October), which would be right before the fair, so a fun way to end the season and get some R&R. Well, having discovered the NC Half Marathon Series I looked around and saw one that is being held the same weekend as the trail marathon I wanted to do. Turned out for the half there is also a full marathon AND a 40 miler. I'm pretty tempted to see what I can do about it.

I felt like I had more to say... not much going on. I'm going to start volunteering at Rex Hospital. I'm also trying to see about what my schooling options are, but I'm still so mixed up, I don't want to get my hopes/expectations up. Nursing is still a possibility. However, fitness/wellness is never out-of-mind. And I think a budding interest in nutrition has led me to look at food science. A conversation with a professor with NC State's food science department was very informative and their graduate (masters) program is enticing. Who knows...

3 comments:

  1. I am completely determined to not lose my love of running and I've been trying to really get back into it.. I signed up for the Cary Road Race! I don't know if you do meek little races like that anymore, but it'd be cool to do it with a friend! Hope to hear from you soon!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see that NC is #5 on the laziest state list? Have to read into it, apparently we aren't quite as bad as the rest in some areas. What do you think? How can the couch potatoes get their 2.5 hours in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura: I would love to! Except that I'm already doing a 10 miler and then a half marathon that weekend. But good luck! I think my dad is volunteering.


    Lida: I'm not surprised we're so lazy. I think it's hard to ask me how couch potatoes should do more: I think they should just DO IT. BTW, where did you see this list?

    ReplyDelete