Monday, March 29, 2010

Race Course Brick, Stadium Run, Ultramarthons

This weekend was great and afterwards I am feeling very motivated and invigorated.

Saturday I drove out to the race course to join TnT for a team ride. It started in the mid-30s and was EXTREMELY cold. And unfortunately I had decided against bringing my windbreaker, leaving me in just my coldgear baselayer. Out of maybe 20-25 people, most rode the Celebration Sprint Tri course, with about 7 or 8 of us riding the full Columbia Olympic Course. Afterwards, about five of us had a relaxed transition and ran an extended loop around the Centennial Lake. The bike ride was slightly shorter than I may have wanted, but it was my first bike-to-run brick workout for the season. Furthemore, I don't often get to do group rides and so being out with some fellow triathletes can really lift one's spirit. My legs were burning on the run, but the whole experience was exciting and enjoyable.

When I leave Baltimore to head home to Raleigh, the main road merging to I95 runs right by Camden Yards and M&T Stadium, the respective playing fields for the Baltimore Orioles and the Baltimore Ravens. For my run on Sunday, I extended a previous route with a tour around these stadiums. For the moment, running in the shadow of these monumental structures does something for my mindset. I wouldn't call it calming or uplifting, but it was fun. My legs seemed to fatigue earlier, but for reasons given below, I made it at a pretty decent click (~ 7:15 miles).

Certainly adding to my motivation were two ultramarathoners (an ultramarathon is any event over 26.2 miles, typically distances 50mi, 100mi, and up); one professional and peripheral, the other personal. Daren, a friend on many levels (he's the father/father-in-law of two awesome friends who got married, and last fall he coached me for my inaugural marathon) ran the Umstead 100mi. If the website was more helpful, I'd give a more rousing report, but unofficial, I'll say he finished in a phenomenal time of 23:01 (that's HOURS:minutes). Even though, he's "retired" from coaching, Daren is always a crazy-athlete's hero.

Another was a very intriguing article in Runner's World (April '10 issue) about ultramarathoner Scott Jurek. A monster of an runner, Scott has dominated the world of ultramarathon. He's won the 100mi, 41,000 ft up and down, Western States Endurance Run seven years (1999-2005) in a row, been the only American to when the 153 mile Spartathlon, and the only person ever to - in the SAME YEAR (2005) - win Western States and two weeks later win the 135 mile Badwater Ultramarathon through Death Valley. But this article really focuses on his recent slump and personal tribulations. It's hardly an uplifting tale. However, it's great at deviling into his soul and throughout I saw a reflection of the same things I go through every day. It wasn't inspiring or motivating... but comforting to know that someone, ANYone - who cares if he's a renowned ultrarunner - has same problems as I do. You can read the article here The King of Pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment