Monday, March 8, 2010

Motivating Bike Ride

This weekend was my first long ride after being stuck on the trainer most of the winter. Last week (or so), I was up early for a session on the trainer. But after about 10 minutes, I had finally had enough. I hopped off, donned some layers and gloves, and took my bike to the streets. Since then I had done mainly short rides; both because of time restrictions and to give myself a chance to get back into it.

On Sunday I finally went out for a good trek, about 35 miles, which took me just over 2 hrs. It was on a route I did a couple of times when I was getting use to cycling around the region and by myself. With mild to decent weather, the ride felt great and really helped my self-esteem. I can't be sure, but I might have even been faster than I was in the fall.

Nevertheless, as my first long(-ish) ride, my legs were pooped for swimming last night. Luckily that was primarily drills. Ditto for my short ride this morning - I passed on an interval set at Druid Hills Lake for a easy, standard hour ride up Falls Rd to Joppa Rd.

I mentioned time restrictions, and as sidebar, it seems to be my biggest limiter for the bike. If you don't know, I am all about morning workouts. Having a goal of being at the lab/school by 8:45, it necessitates getting up early for my run/bike/swim. Well, I don't get too anxious about running in the dark; 95% of my routes have a sidewalk, and if they don't, I'm sure to be wearing a reflective vest. While I do so as well for the bike, I a little more of size hazard on the bike, and going faster makes the reactionary zone a bit smaller. So for now, my rides are limited by when I feel safest heading out, and when I need to be back in in time to get ready for school.

This week should be pretty typical. Wednesday night instead of spinning, TnT is having a tire changing clinic; may or may not go. I've unfortunately had plenty experience with changing flats. But this weekend, we're having our first on-the-road ride, and I am debating whether to add-on with a ride out to the meeting place (it's about 20 miles away).

Please keep the donations coming! I'm still a little short of my recommitment minimum, and FAR from my final goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment