Monday, April 5, 2010

Group Run, Gorgeous Weather

A little later than usual for my updates. I had a midterm in my Chemistry & Biology Interface course yesterday, so I tried to hammer down and focus on that. The exam went pretty well. It was bried and to the point. Though that alone doesn't make it a good thing, I prefer that to lengthy, drawn-out examinations.

Saturday, part of my run I met with a small group near Druid Hill Park. The owner of Falls Road Running Store has been publicizing a group run on Saturdays, and in my miniscule efforts to commune with fellow runners, decided to meet up. Much MUCH slower than my typical pace (eventually I HAD to breakaway for the final miles), but the conversation before and after was fun and exactly what I was looking for.

I am trying out some various strategies for improving my training. I come across two problems: 1) I am training for an Olympic distance Triathlon and possibly a half-marathon but I want to maintain a higher running mileage, and 2) just in general, I want to increase my cycling base and incorporate some triathlon-type/-specific weekend endurance workouts.

At the moment I am maintaing about a 30-35 mile week. I guess you could say I'm content with this mileage, but being me, I wouldn't mind increasing. I don't plan on running another marathon until the fall, but a bigger base can't hurt right? But with these shorter races now, is it really logical to put in 13, 15, 15+ mile long runs? I've decided it isn't. What I did (/am doing) was to essentially keep my long runs constant (at about 13 miles), and instead increase the distance of the Friday run. My goal is to hopefully be able to increase the power of those longer runs and letting the previous day fatigue partially carry over for some mental preparation for late-race fatigue.

For my second problem, I just need to start increasing my cycling base, while also focusing my workouts for triathlons. This weekend, I went on my longest [solo] ride (at least in a while/on purpose. Once last summer I went out for a ride that ended up going much longer than I wanted), but that was only at about 41 miles. While that may be ok for these Olympic Tri's, I can't help but think about next year when I want to start tackling half-Ironmans (which have a 56 mi bike leg). Along with this, there is a common concern among triathetes about weekend runs/rides: which one to do first? If you ride Sat., you are compromising the quality of a Sun. run. However, run Sat. and ride Sun. doesn't really develop and tris-specific bike-to-run type fitness.

The answer I came across was fairly simple: just alternate weeks. Now, that's a little easier said than done; often travel plans make biking difficult to get in. But in general, I think the strategy will work.

Of course my next strategy even counters that: With the Columbia Tri around the corner, it's going to be time to start increasing the brick workouts. Bricks are essential two- (or three-)-in-one workouts where after completing one discipline, you transition into another. I kind of do that Tuesdays when I go for a run and then hop in the pool. However, that isn't actual triathlon progression. So I think next weekend I'll switch my weekend foci towards bike-to-run bricks. Not sure how it will play out, but in reference to the above long run/bike issue above, my plan is to trade-off between a short, hard bike followed by a longer run, with a long-steady bike followed by a short quality run.

Some other thoughts:

My Sunday ride was gorgeous. The weather is getting so perfect. But with the highs in the 80s, I worried we went from the chilly 40s and 50s (perfect for running, but cold for cycling), and skipped the wonderful 70s to go straight for the steamy 80s. Best part of the ride was about 2 miles from home, when a SUV past by with two brown spaniel-like dogs, tongues out, peaking out the windows.

Spring is here and the flowers are blooming. It truly is great, and I'm not particular affected by pollen, so that doesn't bother me. However this morning I ran under a flowering tree, and after brushing a limb, almost swallowed/choked on a petal (not choked, but a forced hacking to keep from swallowing).

I'm indecisive about what fall marathon to compete in. For a while I had become set on the City of Oaks Marathon (Nov. 7) in Raleigh. It's fairly inexpensive, closer than my alternative, and lodging would be cheaper (unless mom and dad charge me rent?!). I would also have more time to transition from the Nations Tri (Sept 12, 8 weeks apart). However, I did have an eye on the Niagra Falls International Marathon (Oct. 24). It is a little bit more expensive, farther away, would have to get a hotel, and closer to Nations (6 weeks). But... well... it would be at Niagra Falls!

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. City of Oaks. You'll want those extra weeks to readjust. And Niagara in October....brrrr. Remember the Head of the Charles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. City of Oaks!!! Your Mom and Dad will be glad to have you at home for a couple of days:) You are one tough cookie!!! Anne

    PS: How did DONNY get his name to show on his comment???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prompted by Donny's comment, I looked up some weather statistics. Average temperature for Niagara for October 24 is around 55 F, while Raleigh for November 7 is about 46 F. Nevertheless I am beginning to lean back towards City of Oaks again. I GoogleMapped (I hope I spelled that made-up word correctly) the Niagara Falls course to get a street view. For a good 17-20 miles, the view DOES NOT CHANGE. I am barely exaggerating. At Marine Corps, being a race, I hardly noticed the "scenic" factor, so I know I normally worry about scenery. But only to a point.

    The "flat-and-fast" layout of Niagara is getting to be about the only potential bonus, and but I think that would only matter if I was going to be looking for a BQ (Boston qualifier), and I'm still many moons of experience away from that.

    Anne, blogspot has some affiliation with Gmail. Either because of that, or I believe since Donny has his own blog, it'll post his name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Duran...checking in for your weekend report...hope you had beautiful weather! Anne

    ReplyDelete