Monday, April 19, 2010

Boston Marathon Race Report

Nothing you can't find else where (Boston Athletic Association or Runner's World), but I'd like to give it anyways.

Past the top American male competitors, I don't know much about the pre-race field/expectations. Both Ryan Hall and Meb Keflizighi were competing and had clearly indicated their intentions to go for the win. Of the two, my own loyalties leaned toward Meb. My opinion of Ryan Hall is off-and-on. I can't deny he's a tremendous athlete, but I think his "success" is a little over-rated. He frequently makes bold claims about his performances, but never quite follows through. For New York, he intended to go for the win. Finished fourth, and Meb was the one who won to become the first American in over 20 years to win New York. Same thing happened last year at Boston where he finished third. At the Beijing Olympics, he was the American favorite. He finished behind Dathan Ritzenhein. Yet for some reason he is still considered the god-child for American marathoners. Again, I think just kind of over-rated. No American woman was really considered in mix for a Boston win this year.

Despite intentions to play it safe, Ryan Hall lead for most of the first half. Late surges by the eventual winner picked him off, and Meb faded a little bit later.

Top 5 for the Men:
1.Robert Cheruiyot - 2:05:52
2.Tekeste Kebede - 2:07:23
3.Deriba Merga - 2:08:39
4.Ryan Hall - 2:08:41
5.Meb Keflizighi - 2:09:26

First, Cheruiyot's 2:05:52 was a new course record! He beat the previous time by about a minute and a half. Ironically, that previous record was set in 2007 by another, different Robert Cheruiyot (who was a four-time Boston champion). Cheruiyot's time is 1:53 off the world record (2:03:59), and Boston is known as a hilly course. You heard this first from me: I wouldn't be surprised we have a preveiw of the next world recordholder. Ryan Hall is credited with setting a new American Boston course record. But I put that on par with other obscure, random sports statistics. He did beat Meb. However, I'll give Meb his credit for being only 10 seconds off his PR that he set in New York last year. I really was cheering for him, but pre-race he mentioned a lingering knee ache, so I didn't let my hopes get too high.

Top 5 for the Women:
1. Teyba Erkesso - 2:26:11
2. Tatyana Pushkareva - 2:26:14
3. Salina Kosgei - 2:28:35
4. Waynishet Girma - 2:28:36
5. Bruna Genovese - 2:29:12

I don't know much about the women's field. Without a strong American contender, much of the American running media let this fall by the wayside. I think the close finish between Erkesso and Pushkareva is something to be said though. Erkesso pushed the pace about halfway and at one point had nearly 2 minutes on the next chaser. But due to what seems like a sidestitch after a fluid station, Erkesso was slowly being gained on by Pushkareva. Despite the large gap, Pushkareva eventually twiddle that down to the small 3 second finish gap! I'm sure it was very climatic.

A big kudos out to my [former] coach, Daren Marceau, who achieved what so few of us have, or ever will, and qualified for Boston. Daren finished with a spectacular 3:37:22.

All this just hits me to the bone even more to fight for a Boston Qualifier. 3:10:00, when will we meet?

1 comment:

  1. enjoyed your review of the runners!!! Keep up your good work!!! We missed you in Wilmington, but good to see your brother and parents.

    ReplyDelete