Sunday, April 25, 2010

Anniversary, 3 mile swim

This might be a short update. Nothing too exciting has happened of note this past week. Right now I'm just trying to keep going strong in this last month of build-up to the triathlon. It's hard to believe it's almost here (and that fundingraising deadline is TOO near!).

This weekend I have the Nanticoke River Swim. This is my first exclusive open water swim event. It will also be the farthest single, continuous swim I have done. However, I am not too worried. My longest swim so far has been about 4200 yds, approximately 1000 yds shy of being 3000. While I haven't gone that extra distance, I'm confident I've built up the experience and stamina to make it out alright. The interesting aspects of the race will be that it is my first swim in a wetsuit, and that the water temperature will be chilly (just below 70 degrees). However, I take that as a good preview for when I have to wear the wetsuit for the triathlon. I may perhaps practice a leisurely transition out of it.

Very importantly though, is that I have regrettable delayed "celebrating" my one year anniversary. That's right. On April 13, I celebrate one whole year of logging my runs! For a long time I hadn't been making note and so tracking my runs meant remembering the last run I had done. I really didn't have any way to compare times for the same route and therefore track my progress. I'm not sure how effectively I use the information stored in the training log, but it's always fun to see how I've been doing.

So of course, some statistics:
In that year I logged:
1,517.53 miles
in 11,547 min. 20 sec.
on 219 days
average speed: 7:36.6 minutes/mile
average distance per all days*: 4.16 miles
average distance per days I ran**: 6.93
average distance per week: 29.18
average distance per month: 126.46
* aka miles/365 days
** aka miles/219 days of running
There may be some skew-age of the numbers. For some routes, such as a bond park where calculating the distance was difficult, I logged the run, but effectively removed it summary data. However, for easy of calculation I didn't worry about if it was or wasn't factored in.

I certainly hope this next year will be even better!

Noteworthy thoughts:

You'd think government employees would be careful when driving government vehicles. Apparently not, as I witnessed one blatantly turn left of a red light. It was in the middle of the daytime too, near downtown. Good thing the police officer was just up the next block; dude got caught.

I am use to seeing large RVs trailering other things, such as a small car or maybe one of those pop-up campers. However, this was the first time I've seen one trailering an airplane. That's right, an airplane. The wings were folded and flush against the side, so it I didn't understand what it was immediately. But yep, an airplane was driven down the highway.

I hope this week goes well for everyone. I have another paper coming up, and I've been trying my hardest to stay focused and to be diligent. The semester is almost over, which means I'll get to start running experiments soon.

A WEEK AND A HALF LEFT TO DONATE. PLEASE HELP OUT

2 comments:

  1. Duran: can you change your "Donate Page" to show the folks that have made a contribution?

    an airplane huh....wow!!!

    Good Luck this weekend...be careful in that COLD COLD water!!!

    ReplyDelete