Monday, March 31, 2014

Final Countdown

The Umstead 100 is five days away. It's the final stages of my taper. It's always hard to tell if I'm feeling good. My legs are exhausted when I go up the stairs, but since I'm not used to that, I don't know if they feel "normal." The weather is going to be interesting. Mid 70s, and I've seen it go back and forth between whether or not there'll be rain and/or thunderstorms. That forecast makes me kinda scared and frustrated. If I want to be able to finish, it will probably mean passing up an attempt at going under 16 hours. On the other hand, I feel incredibly excited. It's the same way I felt when we had those wickedly cold days, and slick roads. I'm Barney Stinson: "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED." It's been a while since I've had a RACE where the elements truly challenged me and I can't wait to see how I overcome.

My next blog should be my race report.

I'm going to be come up on ANOTHER career move. I'm starting to look for full time work in EMS. I was planning on staying in my current job through the summer. I had made the commitment, which I wanted to honor. However, ever since my EMT class ended, I realized how anxious I was to get into EMS as soon as possible. So right now, my eyes are open for jobs. Last Friday I took the exam for the National Registry of EMTs. NREMT is the national agency which credentials EMS professionals from first responders up to paramedics. While it's technically not a license to practice, 46 states use it as their own certification and license to practice. It's actually not required in NC, which has it's own state certification, which I'll be testing for in about two weeks. Even though it wasn't required, I thought taking the NREMT exam was a good idea. The exam was much harder than I expected (and than my brother let on!), so I was worried waiting over the weekend. But all for not, I got it.

Not much more for this blog. Again, next will be the race report.

Soundtrack:
"Man of Steel" theme by Hans Zimmer (GREAT motivational song)
"Still Into You" by Paramore (sorry, I like this band. So sue me)

2 comments:

  1. If you like Paramore so much, you should check out Nico Vega. I think you'd really enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. I'll check them out.

      Hey. Did you know about this house on Wade Ave? http://youtu.be/QobxnFYhMos I saw it a while ago, and I know it's more city planning than civil engineering (and not close to traffic engineering), but I thought it was really interesting.

      Delete