Saturday, December 14, 2013

It's Beginning to Look at Lot Like...

It seemed like Thanksgiving was only yesterday. It REALLY wasn't too long ago. I remember hearing some news about retailers complaining. Want us to push Christmas back a few days?

It's been a cold, wet few days. Last Saturday's run was wet and so was this one's. I don't mind. It's worse at work. Early in the week was in the 40s but wet and raining and it was not fun. I felt better later in the week when the day started in the 20s, but at least the sun was out.

I SO stalling on writing out my training plan. As I think about it, I don't think I need to make differences to my typical mileage patterns/weekly cycles. I may still keep either the Build-Build-Quality-Recover or Build-Build-Recover. However, I think this time I need to get more particular in the individual weekday workouts and through in some focused workouts. iRunFar.com has a good blog series about the types of workouts ultra runners can focus on: from their endurance long runs, to speed and sprint work. While I enjoy a relax, no stress training schedule, I think incorporating these can be valuable to chasing a PR at Umstead. In order to use them, I need to make sure to do more than just write in "speed work" or "sprint work" but specifically etch out the intervals, repeats, rest, etc.. I think doing so will take some stress of later down the road. And honestly, if the workout is good and hard, the anticipation will actually lead to a better workout.

I will declare myself official recovered. The past two weeks I've had some really good runs. I haven't done much building work. Long lingering fatigue isn't really there. My rest days (er... when I just erg for a 10k) actually make me feel restful the next day. When I go out for my runs, I feel fresh and can really hit some good paces that don't feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

The key is not to abuse this rest just yet. I'll cut back on my mileage next week. And without a Fat Ass 50k or Holiday Lake to think about, there's no need to rush into the 30 or 35 milers I was doing as early as January.

BTW. Trader Joe's around the holiday is terrible for trying to eat right. Alas... Pfeffernusse cookies, Candy Cane Joe Joe's, or Gingerbread is too good to pass up.

Soundtrack:
"Pompeii" by Bastille
"Everything" by The Classic Crime

2 comments:

  1. I am also having a hard time cementing a training plan, right now there aren't too many choices for upcoming races in KS... but I am going to have to find one! And I really miss Trader Joe's, none here in Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Trader Joe's?! Crazy....

    Though really, I'm sure I can do without. Sometimes I do most of my grocery shopping there, but other times I end up not really getting much.

    ReplyDelete