Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Fall FAll FALl FALL


It's Wednesday and it's hot again. When I planned on writing this post, I was all about the wonderful fall-ish weather we had earlier this week. Particularly the FIFTY-SEVEN  degrees Monday morning. It was glorious. I was so psyched about dropping temperatures. I was so demoralized when today it returned to 70s starting out.

Why was I getting so excited? Fall is my favorite time of year. There's just something incredible about it. Those cooling temperatures put a certain brisk-ness, crispness in the air. Everything seems so full of potential. The fall is punctuated by late September and all on October. The milder weather is really just a reminder of the time. I get excited about things I don't even really participate in: college football (which I don't follow), new year of college, Halloween, pumpkins, the NC State Fair, camping. AHHHHHH!! I just can't wait.

My shoelace problem continues to bother me. More so because I can't determine if I actually fixed the problem. I had run 30 miles with them digging into my foot which left a mild bruise. So now I can't tell if the shoe is still digging in, or if it's just pressure of the bruise. With these shoes I've also noticed I'm working my calves more, which if I'm doing more forefoot running, would make sense. I'm not sure if the zero-drop shoes are great right now for long distances; I'm doing good for the first several miles, but eventually I end up just slapping my feet. Not a good things.

The registration for the Umstead 100 opens up this weekend. I have a vague eagerness to give it another go. They claim competitive runners as those trying for sub 17:00. Having run 17:28, it's an enticing challenge. However, two other situations are in my sights: doing the Beast Series (3 springtime 50ks, then 100 M, 50 M, 100K autumn); or a new inaugural 100 M in the spring in Chattanooga. The ThunderRock 100M in Chattanooga would just be neat because it's an inaugural race. For both Umstead and the Beast Series, I mellow over how many more years I could have quality races in either style of racing (for Umstead: racing less but higher quality; for the Beast: racing more frequently).

My diet has been OK. The first day with yogurt had no problems. Yesterday I had some again, and I felt a little off, but I'm not sure if that was exclusive to the yogurt. So far, I've had eggs, yogurt, chicken, smoked trout, and smoked salmon. If you've never had a smoked fish you should. It's like the bacon of seafood. That's the best way to describe how awesome it is. Yum.

Soundtrack:
"You Give Love a Bad Name" by Bon Jovi
"Hungry Like the Wolf" by Duran Duran

No comments:

Post a Comment