Monday, October 4, 2010

20 mi #2

This weekend I completed my second 20 mile run. I finally took the opportunity to satisfy my nostalgia for NC State and drove over to complete my run. Many have heard me say this before: having 20 miles to run, instead of trying to choose only one of my old runs to do, I can combine several together for one great trip. I parked in the Varsity lot across from where I use to live (and start my runs). My journey took me through frat court towards my St. Mary's/Cameron Village loop, whizzing over to Dixie Trail for a stint down Wade and Oberlin. After a waltz down Hillsborough, I tackled Kaplan and a little Avent Ferry. A short climb in Centennial and Western to Boylan, back to Hillsborough to finish off on Morrill/Avent Ferry. In felt fast, but it must have just been the familiarity.

For some actual news, earlier this week I crashed on my bike. Out riding in the rain Wednesday afternoon, I swerved to avoid a collision with a truck that was turning left where I was turning right. My wheels slide out from under me and I took a fall. My hip ached pretty bad for the evening and next day (still does even now). I was terribly worried about how my running would be affected. However, everything seems to be ok. My two runs since (9 miles on Friday, and the 20 on Saturday) started out uneasy but both finished strong. I think at the moment, there is just some bruising and transient stiffness from swelling.

For a while I joked about being a bad omen on my exercise excursions. Now, I am becoming seriously concerned. Four times (five if you include my own crash), I have seen/learned about accidents close to where I've been running/biking. After my first 20 miles with a bit along Tryon, the news later reports of a hit-and-run along Tryon. The next week, a jog on Jenks Carpenter was followed by a motorcycle accident report. Also, last week a water main broke along Maynard (though this apparently happened before I passed by). Earlier in my ride last Wednesday (preceding my own crash), I witnessed a stopped car blatantly cross a red light at James Jackson, getting T-boned. Then I passed a car wreck on Hillsborough street in the later miles on this week's 20.

Last comments: For some reason I noticed the range of brands I sport. Sometimes I try to stick with product loyalty: my running shoes have been Brooks for many years. However, on my bike ride, I couldn't help but feel like a hodgepodge of labels. My bib and jersey were Hincapie. My socks were Craft. Leggings were Under Armor. Arm warmers were Pearl Izumi. Wind-vest was Nike. And gloves were Reebok.

I'll have a brief "recovery" week followed by a final 22 miles. Then it's time to taper.

1 comment: