Monday, September 27, 2010

Final Build up

It's been a little bit longer since my last update. There are always things I do/see that I think "I'd like to comment about that on my blog." But of course I ultimately forget. Hopefully writing will get the brain working and I'll remember things as I go.

Having completed the Nation's Triathlon, I am now building up for the City of Oaks Marathon here in Raleigh. My training schedule hasn't really changed all that much. I am still biking and swimming as before with the reasoning that looking ahead to 2011 when I plan to step up to the half-Ironman, the more base I have the better. I also am finally getting to a point where cycling can be enjoyable versus it being a necessary evil in triathlon.

After Nation's I have also begun some mild strength training. My initial plan was to incorporate a daily core (abdominal and lower back) exercise routine. However, with a modest assortment of lifting equipment (some barbell and weights with a bench), I got the impulse to throw in some short lifts. My entire routine only takes about 20-25 minutes, at least 10 of which are the core exercises, and nothing at all heavy. However, I figure something is better than nothing. Also, a nagging knee problem has dissipated tremendously since starting this program so I think there is some therapeutic value.

Two weeks ago I also began my Nursing Assistant class. As with starting back my job at the YMCA, it is a humbling experience to go from working towards a Ph.D. to taking a class you don't even need a high school diploma to take. But the subject matter is interesting and I think I'm realizing and reaffirming how much I prefer jobs that may not pay great, but may be more laborious. The class is very short (only 6 1/2 weeks) but goes three days a week for 8 hours. Once I'm done I hope to be able to work at one of the local hospitals and be in a position to discover a future career goal.

There isn't much more I can think about for this post. I guess a few briefs:

1) If biking while raining, wear protective eyewear NO MATTER WHAT. This morning I made this mistake since it was still dark out and sunglasses would be inappropriate. My eyes have been hurting most of the day and I'm sure there's some [temporary] damage.
2) When starting my weekend long run a deer jumped across the road RIGHT IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD. And we don't live out in the boonies, this is a fairly long-established suburban neighborhood.
3) On the previous week's long run I 'got lost;' which is really to say I just didn't go the way I had originally planned. No biggie. However, I did discover the most blatant "themed" street names: the main road was 'Carousel' with side streets of 'Ferris Wheel,' 'Brass Rings,' and 'Candy Apple.'

Twenty miles coming up. Get excited.

1 comment:

  1. nice updates & keep up the training! Just curious about the nursing assistant class ... msg me on fb about it.

    ReplyDelete