Sunday, August 29, 2010

Farmers Market indulgence

When I make dinner, I alternate on a weekly basis between making a salad and heating some frozen vegetables. This coming week was suppose to be frozen veggies, so when I went to the farmers market I was only planning on purchasing some peaches and some squash for lunch. However, there were too many good pickings to pass up, so it looks like it'll be another week of salads. Giving into temptations can't always be good. But hey, if that temptations is VEGETABLES, I suppose there are worst things.

Last week was brutal on my legs. I'm pretty sure after my 20 miles and subsequent miles that weekend, I edged into overtraining. And it hasn't helped that my right knee has been aching. My treatment isn't that great: ignoring it. However, I've slowly felt better later in the week and I think two days without running (these are cycling days) will show some improvement. The mileage is going to be backing down. For one, it's part of the normal build, build, recover cycle, and secondly, I'm beginning to taper for the Nation's Triathlon, which takes place September 12th in DC.

Some random comments, mostly about running:
Marathon elite, Deena Kastor just became pregnant with her first child. A congratulations. So much attention has been given towards Kate Goucher, a much longer runner, and I don't think anyone has really wondered about Kastor's family life. However, news reports that she is happy and excited.

Molly Huddle broke the US 5000m record on Thursday! I love seeing records broken.

Runner's World weekly dedicates a blog to brief news stories that hint at running. It also includes a countdown for various races, from 5ks to ultramarathons. I'd like to think it was my own request that got the City of Oaks Marathon added to this weeks countdown. Let's hope it stays! I slowly see my influence at Runner's World increasing, where previously I had posed a question to the Race Director of the utmost importance.

Today was my second bike ride where I saw a turtle in the street. Today it was way out in Chatham county. The encounter earlier this week was within a half mile of home, tempting me to pick up a new pet.

2 comments:

  1. You got some great miles last week! Keep it up! My next biggest spending other than rent is produce. Pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Duran! Wish you were here to visit - we have TONS of fresh produce in our garden!!! Try eggplant parmesan, or BAKED brussel spouts with olive oil and sea salt..yummm. Fresh peaches, more yum!!! Hope to see you in October!!! love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete