Friday, August 20, 2010

Brief peak

This weekend I have to go to Annapolis to drill. If I was still in Baltimore, I would've just woken up at the crack of dawn, pounded out the miles, and made the short drive. However, being back in Raleigh, a morning of departure would already require a 1:00am leaving, meaning a run would be started around 10:00 the night before! Some may say I'm hardcore... but not that much... not YET.

So I put in the 20 miles this morning, and will hopefully get the 8 miles in Sunday in Annapolis. It was overall a fun run. It was only about 2 years ago that I did my first run from my apartment in Raleigh to my parents house in Cary - at the time a brutal 10 miles. And now? You guessed it - now it was a round trip! Mercifully I didn't have to do it out and back, my least favorite type of route. I made my way along Tryon to Avent Ferry Rd, followed Varsity to Western, which as it mutated into Hillsborough and Chatham, took Maynard [with a short extension loop] to Kildaire and back home. Those unfamiliar with the particular roads, I essentially ran the periphery of Crossroads, the southern edge of NC State and southeast circumference of Cary.

I definitely got a confidence boost running along Avent Ferry. This road present some nasty hills (for their length). Maybe because I was at my long run pace, but I felt I took them well in stride and with ease. In the coming weeks I will definitely make my long runs mixtures of the shorter runs I use to do at State.

Saw two girls I used to row with. Shout out to Ida and Kellee!

I'm still frustrated with my hydration belt. Bottles popped out no less than 4 times in the first 2 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment