Sunday, May 9, 2010

Two weeks to go.

This past week was the last week of classes and next week is the exam period. I've only taken three classes this semester; Nucleic Acids, Advanced Mechanistic Chemistry, and Chemistry and Biology Interface. My exam for Nucleic Acids is a paper, but the other two are standard exams. My mom asked me the title of my paper, but I told her it as useless because it would make sense. However, here it is (I guess for Mother's Day?): DNA and Polymerase Structural Factors that Dictate Activity and Fidelity During Translesion Synthesis.

It'll be good to be done for a while and be able to final give my full attention to doing research. This semester has been rough, and the last couple of weeks it has been a struggle to stay focused and motivated. I do get a short break though. My research adviser is currently overseas at a conference and is gone for another week. Since my exams are complete on Wednesday, I went to discuss where to proceed with my experiments in his absence. He said that with it only being a few days, to just make sure I understand the literature and past work done. Though I am certainly not taking these instructions lightly, I plan on using those few days (Wednesday-Friday, I have to drill for the Coast Guard that weekend) to go to Raleigh. I hope that I can get everything accomplished that I want to while I'm there. That is primarily just getting to see a couple of people, but also a few... "administrative" type of obligations.

There are only two weeks remaining until the triathlon! I'm excited, nervous, anxious... It's been an interesting training period with a lot of learning. These next two weeks I think will be the hardest, what is known as the taper period. Tapering has never been my strong point and it is difficult to do it correctly. Last year for the Triangle Triathlon, I mildly toned down my workouts and lightened up on my weightlifting. For the marathon, I followed a taper schedule set out by my coach; however it was hard to judge its effectiveness. The week before the race I got wicked sick and struggle alot with getting through the week. Several times I'd wake up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat. Never knew if that was being physically ill, or some mind-body physiological wack-out.

Oddly enough, my mind is mainly looking beyond to my fall training period. I've already begun laying out an actual training schedule. So far the plan only has my runs scratched in; having a previous schedule and some good resources from Runner's World, that's been the easiest to fill. Now adding in some swimming and biking will be more difficult. Even now, I would say my focus has always been on my running, since swimming comes so naturally, and biking just kinda falls where it may. It'd be nice to lay out some disciplined and focused workouts that will be truly challenging. This fall I am having to workout a marathon training plan, with my second Olympic Triathlon, the Nations Tri in Washington, DC about two months earlier.

This past few days I have really been abusing my legs. My runs earlier in the week by themselves didn't seem to be too hard, and weren't out of the ordinary. Tuesday was an 8 miler before swimming, and Wednesday was a fartlek. I guess it might have been the new leg exercise I did Tuesday night. Whatever it was, Friday my legs felt ridiculous. I went out to do 11 miles and as soon as I started my quads were screaming. The last time they hurt that much was mile 16 onward for the marathon. Getting started involved this awkward shuffle where, while trying to overcome the ache and achieve some semblance of proper running form, you feel like you're doing some penguin walk. This ache somewhat subsided, but it was there for my run yesterday, as well as today. Luckily, I should be doing a light cycling which I hope helps workout some of the soreness. In some ways it should force me into taper mode.

What's interesting is that despite this ache, I maintained some pretty good pace. My Friday run was around 7:19. Yesterday was a little slower at 7:29, but decent given the circumstances. I have two reasons/theories for this phenomenon. First is because I've started lifting again. Definitely not as frequently as I have in years past, but it's something, and of course includes some leg exercises. These exercises (always leg press and then some maybe leg extensions/curls or calf raises) definitely leave me sore, but I think they have helped me toughen up and be able to push through aches better, rather than letting it get to me and slow me down. Secondly, I've been incorporating some negative splitting technique. Negative splitting is simply making the second half of your training faster than the first. So essentially taking it easy in the beginning leaves you more energy for the second part. Now, I don't use a GPS, so I don't meticulously check my paces. However, I definitely have started to hold myself back in the beginning of a run in order to later open up the pace. It seems to be doing something now. We'll see what happens come race day(s). I'd really like to see this help out my marathon.

That's it for the most part. Yesterday TnT had a mandatory open water swim practice. Everyone amusingly pointed out that give I just did a three mile open water swim last week, I probably didn't need the practice. It was still nice to go out. I think my wetsuit was better situated. Also, the water was wonderfully smooth compared to the chop of last week's race.

Apparently I won my age group at the swim. I say it's no big deal; there were only four people in my age group.

No comments:

Post a Comment