Thursday, May 8, 2014

New Horizons

I had a pretty good couple of days. Work was so-so uneventful (until today), and some good stuff with my EMS future. I feel pretty good physically for Thunder Rock next weekend.

I let my mileage build up somewhat over the past few weeks. Not in preparation, because I'm still trying to just recover from the last race. I just like running farther distances. Nevertheless, I felt sluggish. However, I guess over the weekend I had a breakthrough because this week I was doing pretty good. I still need to remember that I still need to taper, and bring the mileage back down over the weekend and into next week.

My plan is to leave Thursday to head out to Chattanooga. I'll stay in town Thursday night, and drive back east about an hour to the start, which is at noon. I'm still not sure how I'll get home after the race. Well... I mean, I know HOW I'll get home. It's more of whether I would brave the trip that afternoon, or linger around for a while, stay overnight, and drive back Sunday morning. The smart thing would be to wait. But the smart thing would also be not to run two 100s only six weeks apart.

Things are wrapping up with Pool Pros. Most of my inspected pools got handed over to their managers, and with only two pools left to be inspected, I was pretty relaxed most of the week. Today was stressful as I had my last two inspections. Crazy as it sounds, I passed and ended this inspections season 14 for 14 (pools passed to pools inspected). I probably have a few more days of work. But my race is next week, and I have a couple different parts to an EMS interview, that I'll have good chunk of time away.

The EMT jobs are in sight! Yesterday, after checking every couple of hours, my certification was finally posted. I didn't really have anything to worry about. I already passed the exam and was waiting for a background check to clear me. Nevertheless, it was a relief to finally see that because for future job interviews/applications I don't have to make a little asterick for that certification.

Furthermore, my brother put me in touch with his employer which is a medical transport company. It involves moving stable patients back and forth between medical appointments and hospital treatment. It's all BLS; anything goes wrong and they pull over and call 911! However, it's some cash flow while I wait to hear back EMS, the first responders, which is what I really want. I've got assessments for Wake County EMS over the next few days. And just yesterday (the same day I got my certification; coincidence?) Cary Area EMS posted that they are hiring. I'm hoping to have good news over the coming weeks.

Soundtrack:
"Arise" by Flyleaf
"Fading Away" by Demon Hunter

The post title is a reference to the third album by Flyleaf (the song is from their second album, Memento Mori).

No comments:

Post a Comment