Saturday, October 19, 2013

Big Time Changes

State Fair with family. New job. New apartment. EMT class. 2 weeks to Masochist.

I know it's been a long time since I last updated. A lot has been going on and I just have NOT had the time. But it's been pretty much all good things.

This week I started a new job. Not with the Y. There was a conflict with being able to take my EMT class. As much as that class isn't yet "necessary" I felt like I needed to keep on going with it where as the Y job didn't feel like it has much future. So now I'm working for a pool service company. Essentially I maintain pools during the winter so they're not so much trouble come springtime to get ready for the summer. It's hard manual labor. Maybe not so mentally challenging, and I go home exhausted, but I'm liking it.

My tiredness is compounded by my EMT class. After working 8-5, 3 nights a week I still have my EMT class. I'm still enjoying it, though we've still just barely touched on the medical training. It's settling into a good rhythm. I just hope having a stable job doesn't sour my motivation to pursue this.

This week was also moving week. My brother and I made a big change and decided to be housemates (apartment). I think the last time we shared a room (we don't know) was back when my oldest sister went to college. I think the last time we lived under the same roof was probably technically when I got my first apartment my sophmore year of college. It's kinda crazy.

On the short term: I've got 2 weeks until going back to the Mountain Masochist Trail Run. Two weeks ago, the Grindstone 100 was CANCELLED because the government shutdown prevent usage of some forest service roads. So luckily we get to stay on the course. My running has been good. For the past month (or so) my training cycle has been much shorter, so with a lot more recovery weeks. And today-ish is the start of my taper to store up the energy for this event.

My sister was in town for our family camping trip last weekend. She tele-commuted for the week and before she left, last night we all went to the State Fair. I glad we went, even though I was pretty hungry until we got there, so I got a little grumpy. I had a good ham biscuit (kudos to the church fair booth!), a polish sausage (good, but not very well seasoned), and a little bit of bacon-chocolate funnel cake (split among the five of us). I have yet to find the pickle booth! I've heard they're amazing, and after having fresh pickles when the JCC had a Food Festival, I know the fresh ones are in a league a part from the canned ones.

Keeping it short, even though it's been a while.

Soundtrack: DON'T JUDGE
"Royals" by Lorde
"Everything" by Taylor Swift

No comments:

Post a Comment