Sunday, April 17, 2011

Semper Paratus

I told myself I wouldn't sign up for any fall races too early. I know my exercise takes on a special purpose when I have a race down the line, and I think a break/pause in focused training is necessary. I don't know if I ever really had one after the City of Oaks Marathon. Sure, I didn't have any planned races or structure training for most of the winter, but that was primarily from forced rest due to my injury; which I'm sure anyone who has been injured can confirm, is not restful. Nevertheless, I was reminded that registration had opened for the Medoc Trail Marathon and despite being a relatively low key event, it fills up quickly. So I went ahead and signed up. I'll just have to do my best to decompress after White Lake Half Ironman. Still I think the Medoc Marathon will be a good introduction into ultra running. I was planning on doing my first as a 40 miler that is held the same weekend. But starting off with a trail marathon help reinforce my mantra to take it slowly. Better to savory each accomplishment upwards, than to skyrocket to 100milers and burnout.

It was interesting weekend; an All-Hands training for the CG Reservist in Sector North Carolina, held at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, due to available facilities. I probably over-thought my runs. I had decided to wait until Saturday evening and try to go off-base to run in the nearby Croatan National Forest. However, without Internet access, finding a public trail access was unsuccessful. Furthermore, severe weather was creeping in. Though I normally scoff at bad weather, I figured I was doing the safe thing by not running. However, some encouragement from a friend had me re-assessing and I did head out for a good trot. One way was nice; being pushed forward by the wind is a unique sensation. The other way sucked being pushed back to almost running in place.

Still I got in before the worst of it. We briefly lost power in the housing unit. And for a good while, I can best describe the storm as endless strobe light. I seriously tried determining if there was some expansive emergency beacon flashing, or if it really was the lightning (it was lightning).

In closing:
Nothing is more inspiring than being on a base for colors. Being a Reservist, and unaccustomed to typical base demeanor, I was taken aback when, near the end of my run, I notice all the cars stopped in the middle of the road; passengers out and at attention for evening Colors. Hoorah.

Turns out a good acquaintance with the Coast Guard is an accomplished triathlete. Our parents knew each other, and we had happened to enlist and go through boot camp together. Never did much to stay in touch though. Meeting up at the All-Hands, I come to discover is also a triathlete, at the moment well on his way to qualifying for the Olympic (distance) Nationals. Good luck Andy!

Pictures are up for last weekend's races:
Tarheel 10 miler
Raleigh Rocks Half Marathon
I like the half photos better.

1 comment:

  1. Great pics! The Medoc Trail marathon seems like fun along with the hard work. Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete